mardi 20 mars 2018

Proto 64?

We've talked yesterday with a friend about Proto-Modelling. He's involved, here in France, in a beautiful layout made in Proto 87 and he's also one of the few remaining S scalers in France, specializing in Rio Grande. And we chatted about the subject of Proto 64. I was tempted some years ago by the challenge and bought some wheels from NWSL. This resurfaced some time ago. While interesting the idea proved to be too challenging, at least for me and my limited capacities. This is not the rolling stock, track or turnouts that made an unsolvable equation. Even diesel engines are not too much of a problem, but I love steam engines. And it's another affair! You can easily guess the work involved in modifying the few existing steam engines or sourcing wheels to do specific models, not speaking of three point suspension... And no supplier support the Proto 64 in any way as opposed to P 48. That said it's not an unreachable goal as our english colleagues of the S Scale Model Railway Society proved regularly. But we reached the conclusion with my friend that it's too much for me and my friend agreed, too much for him also!
And in fact, it's not the width of the wheel tread that bother me or the height of the flange, but the profile and appearance of the wheels.
I 'am not satisfy with the look of the SHS and American Models  wheels. The solution?  I've changed all of them with SSLS (sadly no longer available) or NWSL ones. Their appearance is much more satisfying and I finally forgot the P 64 way.  And it's better! The present NASG standards are finally  good enough for me and much better than the equivalent RP 25 for HO. No more wandering, I must stay stick on my goal...
See ya'



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire